No injury reported as four storey building collapses in Zimmerman, Nairobi




No injury reported as four storey building collapses in Zimmerman, Nairobi


Nairobi, Kenya: A building that had been condemned and its construction stopped two years ago collapsed in Zimmerman area, Nairobi on Wednesday morning. Residents said the building came down on its own as the three floors above it caved in at about 2 am. There were no occupants in the four-storey building. Kasarani OCPD Robinson Mboloi said there was no occupant and therefore no injury was reported. “No injuries were reported following the incident. The scene is secured,” said Mboloi.



Locals said that if the building collapsed during daytime, it could have caused injuries or deaths. This is because some locals especially those who sell food and vegetables at times take shelter there. The building had in 2014 been marked for demolition as it was improper for habitation after officials from the Nairobi County Government and the National Construction Authority said it was weak.

It was then that the occupants were ordered to move out of the building. There were almost 12 families that were staying at the house then before they moved out. There were fast food kiosks, a butcher, a grocery and general merchandise shop there. Agencies have in the past marked several buildings as unfit for occupation. They are however faced with resistance from some locals and owners of the building who oppose the moves. Officials say there is need for civic education to enable residents know what to do on such matters.



No injury reported as four storey building collapses in Zimmerman, Nairobi No injury reported as four storey building collapses in Zimmerman, Nairobi Reviewed by Ajit Kumar on 9:10 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.