Lowest-polling Candidates Cut From Republican Debate



Lowest-polling Candidates Cut From Republican Debate


Next week's prime-time Republican U.S. presidential debate will feature fewer candidates than previous debates – eight instead of 10.


The eight on the Fox Business Network's main stage will be billionaire businessman Donald Trump, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, Ohio Governor John Kasich and Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky.

Meanwhile, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, who have both been on the main stage in the first three debates, have been bumped to the so-called "undercard" debate.

In order to qualify for the prime-time debates, the candidates needed an average of at least 2.5 percent support in the four most recent national polls through November 4, while the undercard candidates had to score at least 1 percent in any of the four most recent polls.

From left, John Kasich, Mike Huckabee, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Ted Cruz, Chris Christie and Rand Paul take the stage during the CNBC Republican presidential debate in Boulder, Colo., Oct. 28, 2015.


Christie and Huckabee will share the stage with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and former Senator Rick Santorum.

Shortly after the announcement of the lineup, Christie Tweeted "It doesn't matter the stage, give me a podium and I'll be there to talk about real issues."

Later, Huckabee also tweeted, "I'm happy to debate anyone, anywhere, anytime."

Two candidates who previously appeared on the undercard debate – South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham and former New York Governor George Pataki – did not qualify for either debate this time.

*****

Obama Sees No Progress on Israeli-Palestinian Peace Deal


Palestinian mourners carry the body of Ibrahim Skafi, 22, during his funeral in the West Bank city of Hebron, Thursday, Nov. 5, 2015. President Obama will host Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House on Monday.

President Barack Obama has determined Israeli and Palestinian leaders will make no significant progress toward peace by the time he leaves office in early 2017, according to White House officials.

The statement comes as Obama prepares to host Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House Monday.

The summit is seen as an attempt to mend diplomatic ties and deepen the U.S. military relationship with the Israeli government, which strongly opposed the Iran nuclear deal.

Obama will also use the meeting to push Netanyahu for details on his policies toward Palestinians, said Rob Malley, a White House National Security Council Middle East official.

A Palestinian protester uses a sling to hurl stones at Israeli troops in Hebron, West Bank, Nov. 5, 2015. Israel's policies toward Palestinians will be discussed when U.S. President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meet Monday.


"The president has said we have to reach a realistic assessment that there will not be a comprehensive final status agreement in the remainder of his term, and there likely may not be meaningful negotiations between the two sides," Malley said.

"Given that reality, which is a new one, how does the prime minister himself see Israel going forward?" Malley asked.

The Obama administration put significant effort into reviving the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, which is aimed at creating a separate state of Palestine alongside Israel.

But the talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority collapsed in 2014. Since then, there has been a surge in violence between Palestinians and Israelis. 
Lowest-polling Candidates Cut From Republican Debate Lowest-polling Candidates Cut From Republican Debate Reviewed by Ajit Kumar on 6:40 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.