Saudi-led bombing kills 131 at Yemen wedding



Saudi-led bombing kills 131 at Yemen wedding

A suspected Saudi-led coalition air strike has killed at least 131 civilians, including many women and children, at a wedding in Yemen, medical officials said.



UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon condemned Monday's air raid, saying intentional attacks on civilians were considered a “serious violation of international humanitarian law.’’
Residents said the Arab coalition, which launched an air war on the Huthi Shiite rebels in late March, was behind the attack on the wedding hall near the Red Sea city of Mokha. 


The death toll rose to 131 people after “more bodies were taken overnight to hospital and many of the wounded succumbed to their injuries,'' a local health official told AFP requesting anonymity.


Previously the toll had been at least 40 dead and dozens wounded.


A doctor at Mokha's Al-Reefi Hospital, Mayaz al-Hamadi, confirmed that 131 bodies, including women and children, had been brought in.


The United Nations said it was trying to verify the death toll.


“If the numbers are as high as suggested, this may be the single deadliest incident since the start of the conflict,'' UN rights agency spokesman Rupert Colville told reporters in Geneva.—AFP

Saudi-led bombing kills 131 at Yemen wedding Saudi-led bombing kills 131 at Yemen wedding Reviewed by Ajit Kumar on 8:32 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.