Unrest Marks Anniversary in Ferguson, Missouri

Unrest Marks Anniversary in Ferguson, Missouri

Police arrested several protesters Monday night in Ferguson, Missouri, which continues to be a flashpoint one year after the high profile shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown, an unarmed black man who was shot by a white police officer. Officials declaring a state of emergency did not prevent further clashes between demonstrators and police during a second night of unrest in the embattled St. Louis suburb.

As night fell, dozens of protesters repeatedly defied police orders to stay off the street and stopped traffic on West Flourissant Avenue, the scene of riots and looting over the last year.

As further unrest marked the anniversary of the shooting death of Michael Brown, some in the crowd, not far from the spot where he was shot, felt the awareness stemming from that incident has empowered them.

“They say what we are doing is excessive, but the death of Mike Brown brought an issue that has been swept under the rug to the light, so I like it, it’s powerful,” said a former Ferguson resident who goes by the name Mal Stiff.

“A lot has changed in the minds of the people like the minds of the activists, the protesters, the people who are really down with change.  A lot has changed with them, like a lot of us have been awakened in a way we couldn't even have imagined,” said St. Louis resident Tiffany Shawn.

But for as much change as Tiffany Shawn welcomes, she said some things have stayed the same.

“Not a lot has changed with how the police are reacting to us, and are behaving with us. Not a lot has changed when it comes to that,” she said.

Heavy police presence

The beefed up police presence in Ferguson came one night after officers shot and seriously wounded an 18-year old suspect they say opened fire on them, leading to charges against the suspect and a state of emergency declared in St. Louis County to stem further violence.

Those on the ground in Ferguson for a another night of protests shrugged off those concerns.

“Violence is going to happen, I don’t want to minimize it at all because it’s a problem, no one agrees with it, but it happens regardless,” Shawn said.

“When you have a body of people this large, there are bound for there to be people who don’t like each other,” said Mal Stiff.

In the face of flying water bottles and rocks, police moved quickly to keep large numbers of protesters from filling the streets and stopping traffic, something they accomplished on a busy highway earlier in the day.

“This is a lot milder than last year, I mean last year it was unexpected it was a larger body of people, so the outcome was a little more dramatic.  This is more positive than last year, it’s more powerful,” Mal Stiff said.

Police have appealed for calm as more protests are expected.

Sunday's violence

The 18-year old suspect wounded Sunday was identified as Tyrone Harris Jr.  He was among six who fired shots during Sunday's protest, which until that point had been a peaceful street demonstration commemorating the year-ago killing of Michael Brown. He was killed during a heated street confrontation with officer Darren Wilson who months later was cleared of wrong-doing.

Harris's father, Tyrone Harris Sr., said he believed his son, a friend of Brown's, was unarmed and called the police version of Sunday night's violence "a bunch of lies."

Police Chief Jon Belmar said detectives had been tracking a man they feared was armed and he was then involved in an exchange of 40 or 50 shots between two groups of people, before shooting the officers' vehicle. 

"They were criminals. They were not protesters," Belmar said of the groups that exchanged shots.  "Protesters are people that are out there that are talking about a way to effect change, whatever that may be.  That is not what is happening here."

U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch strongly condemned the violence.

"Not only does violence obscure any message of peaceful protest," Lynch said, "it places the community, as well as the officers who seek to protect it, in harm's way."

Earlier Sunday, the situation was peaceful as marchers began at the site where Michael Brown was shot on August 9, 2014.  The demonstrations that followed Brown's killing threw the St. Louis suburb into the national spotlight and sparked calls for better treatment of minorities by police.

Unrest Marks Anniversary in Ferguson, Missouri Unrest Marks Anniversary in Ferguson, Missouri Reviewed by Ajit Kumar on 1:39 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.